I used a combination of brown lentils, green lentils, french lentils and red (orange) lentils.
Too bad they all turn the same color when cooked!
Spicy Lentil Soup with Rainbow Chard
- 3 Tb olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 bunch rainbow chard or swiss chard (chiffonade the greens and chop the ribs like celery)
- 4 carrots, chopped in small rounds
- 4 ribs celery, chopped in small pieces
- 2 1/2 c. lentils, rinsed (any kind of lentils will do)
- 1 gallon vegetable broth (beef or chicken broth would work just fine)
- water if needed to fill up the pot
- dash red pepper flakes
- dash or two white pepper
- dash or two cumin
- dash each, dried oregano, basil, thyme
- juice of 1 lemon
Optional: 1 Tb green curry paste and/or 1 large can diced tomatoes to be added with the broth
Get it going with garlic and onions sauteing in a big soup pot on low-medium heat with olive oil. Start chopping and adding to the pot in this order: chard, carrots, celery. Let this get nice and steamy for about 5 minutes or so to par-cook the veggies. Add broth and lentils along with spices and seasoning. Simmer on medium heat for 1/2 hour or until lentils are cooked through. Add juice of one lemon just before serving.